- The ‘WHO’
- Definition of a Bystander
- Definition of Bystander Intervention
- The Why Not?
- Stigma Hesitation – Why People Don’t Act
- The ‘Bystander Effect’
- Definition of the Bystander Effect
- Three Factors influencing the Bystander Effect
- Confronting Overt Racism
- The Five D’s of Bystander Intervention
- #MeToo Movement and Bystander Intervention
- Cyberbullying and Social Media Harassment
- Explain the positive and negative effects of social media platforms and their influence
- How to address and respond to acts of cyberbullying
- Bystander Intervention and the connection to Harassment in the Workplace.
- Understanding the reasons behind why we don’t act and remain a bystander
- How to directly or indirectly intervene when witness to an act of disrespect or harassment behavior
- Ways to support individuals who have been victims of harassment
- Understand the reasons behind why we don’t act and remain a bystander
- How to directly or indirectly intervene when witness to an act of disrespectful or harassing behaviour in the workplace
- Ways to support individuals who have been targets of harassment
- Identify prejudices/unconscious bias and microaggressions, and their influence on our behaviour towards others
- Explain the effects of social media harassment in the workplace
- How to address and respond to acts of social media harassment against co-workers
- How bystander intervention is effective in addressing workplace harassment
Why choose HR Proactive Inc.’s workplace training?
For more than twenty-five years, HR Proactive Inc. has provided harassment prevention training for supervisors/managers and employee groups to organizations both large and small, public and private. Training incorporates our expertise in human rights law and includes relatable, real-life workplace case scenarios providing experiential learning opportunities and reflection.
Our line of proactive training programs are created to address common issues faced in all workplaces and build employee skills related to harassment, diversity & inclusion, managing bias and microaggressions, and bystander intervention.
Subject Matter Specialist
Heather Trojek brings a wealth of experience to HR Proactive Inc. and its clients. Over the past thirty years, Heather has worked as a mediator, adjudicator, advocate, prosecutor, investigator and trainer. During her career, she has worked for all three levels of government practising almost exclusively in administrative law.
Most recently, Heather was appointed as a Vice Chair at the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal and the Licence Appeal Tribunal of Ontario, where she worked for over six years. Prior to her appointment, Heather successfully resolved employment law disputes including wrongful dismissal claims as a roster certified mediator with the Superior Court of Justice. She has been a guest speaker, instructor and mentor for numerous organizations and agencies including the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association and York University. During her long and highly-respected career, Heather has conducted thousands of mediations, employee interviews and hearings. She is compassionate and respectful with all participants, and is able to build rapport and offer a non-judgemental space for witnesses to share their evidence, knowledge and information. Having worked as an adjudicator, Heather is able to quickly assess and weight the credibility/reliability of the evidence before her. She is an expert at interpreting evidence as well as identifying and explaining her findings and providing guidance to clients. Heather is able to assist employers in obtaining resolutions to difficult and complex workplace conflicts and regain stability in the workplace. These qualities are what makes her a valued and sought after workplace investigator and trainer. Heather is a certified Mediator and Adjudicator. She obtained her training through Osgoode Professional Development. Her areas of expertise are employment and insurance law, human rights, personal injury claims, investigations, wrongful dismissal, occupational health & safety, workplace safety and insurance, short-and long-term disability claims. workplace restoration and workplace training.